10 Things That Will Make You Smile. Right. This. Moment.
As cliché as it might sound, laughter really is the best medicine sometimes. Whether you’re holed up in your apartment with cough medicine, nasal spray and a box of tissues watching your favorite reality show, or you’re stressing—hard—about that upcoming job interview or final exam, the following list is likely to make you smile. It might even make you laugh. Checking off any one of the items below will also ease any physical or emotional stress you might be feeling. Right. This. Moment.
1. Look up your name on Urban Dictionary. No, seriously, do it. And pretend all the nice definitions are written about you personally.
2. Browse through America’s Funniest Home Videos clips on YouTube. Extra points if you can find episodes from when Bob Saget hosted.
3. Look around you and marvel at how lucky you are. Are you at home? That means you have a roof over your head. Are you at school? Lucky you, furthering your education. Are you on your phone? You can literally leave a message for any one of your family members or closest friends with the push of a button, no matter where they are in the world.
4. In fact, why don’t you? Text a close friend and tell her how much she means to you. She’s likely to respond with similar sentiment. This is two smiles for the price of one.
5. Now take a photo of yourself on your phone and limit yourself to only noticing nice thoughts about your face and hair. You are beautiful. And that’s definitely worth smiling about.
6. Have a pet? Get some face time with your favorite pup or cat, and nuzzle them closely. It’s guaranteed to make you feel better almost instantly.
7. Close your eyes and think back to a time when you still believed in Santa Clause. Even if he didn’t bring tons of presents – the Santa Clause in my house rarely did; he always urged my family to appreciate each other over material things – how exciting was Christmas morning when you actually did believe in Christmas magic?
8. Eat a piece of dark chocolate. And don’t feel guilty about it. If that doesn’t do it, try a scoop of chocolate ice cream.
9. Now go for a light jog. That’s all it takes to get the endorphins flowing, and you’ll be smiling before you know it.
10. Have any nieces or nephews? Send them (or their parents) a text, asking how they are. Their cute responses are likely to leave you smiling for the rest of the day.
What do you like to do when you’re feeling down? What are some easy ways you cheer yourself up after a rough day?