17 Little Ways To Live A Happier Life
I really believe that you can choose to be happy. One of my favorite quotes and words to live by: “Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.” Happiness is something that we all strive for, but so many of us find it challenging to grasp and even harder to maintain. There are ways to boost your mood instantly and other little things you can do to live a happier life, starting now!
- Go for a walk, go grab some food, go to the bank, just GO OUTSIDE! Soak up the sun and get some fresh air (even in the winter). Nature has been linked to happiness because light elevates mood, as does vitamin D from the sun.
- Take deep breathes… in through the nose and out the mouth. Calm breathing can boost relaxation and calm the mind. Take a long, deep breath to help you relax rather than stressing out.
- Practice gratitude. Happy people recognize that there’s always something to be grateful for. There are many ways to practice gratitude, from keeping a list of things you’re grateful for, sharing the good things that happen each day with your loved ones, or going out of your way to show gratitude when someone helps you.
- Smile more. Even when we’re alone, smiling has been proven to boost mood, reduce pain and make you a better thinker. It’s even more effective when paired with positive thoughts. Try grinning right now and think about your significant other, pet or your favorite joke!
- When stress strikes, don’t go for that tub of ice cream or chocolate bar! Instead, try dimming the lights and closing your eyes to meditate. Even as little as five minutes will help to calm you. It’ll also improve your focus, clarity, and attention span.
- Roll out your mat and do some yoga! Need I remind you of all the good things yoga will bring to your life? Just 30 minutes of om can do you wonders.
- Write it down. I keep a journal to write down my thoughts and feelings. I feel like putting my thoughts on paper is very therapeutic and it can also help me sort out unresolved issues. I especially love pro and con lists!
- Not into writing or journaling? Vent To Your Friendsinstead! We know that life is not all rainbows and butterflies. When you’re down or stressed, reach out to a friend so you feel like you’re not dealing with your problems alone. Just talking could make you feel a whole lot better!
- Be honest. Don’t bottle up feelings, especially anger. Working out issues is always better than building up inner frustration and you’ll get a quicker resolution. Ain’t nobody got time to stay mad!
- Wear brighter colors. Color can really affect your mood and science suggests that wearing colors like red can boost confidence and self-esteem. So save the black for Halloween and brighten up that wardrobe!
- Declutter your space and your mind. Put on your cleaning music and take some time to reorganize! Do the laundry, throw out the trash and wash the piled up dishes. Having a clean space can enhance your focus and productivity.
- Set small milestones and goals. Remember that small achievements in your life can lead to big, positive changes! Accomplishing something, no matter how small, will make you feel happy. So while thinking big is great, set some short-term goals for yourself.
- Don’t dwell too much on the past. You can’t fix something that already happened. I always allow myself a week or two (depending on the situation) to cry, yell or mope, but after that, it’s time to let go. Think of the possibilities and go after things that can actually be changed and done.
- Keep a calendar or to-do list. One of the main reasons people become unhappy is due to stress. When you have a lot on your plate, it’s important to have a plan. Keep your life organized with a calendar so you’ll never miss an appointment or event and a to-do list so you don’t wait until the last minute to work on a project. Boost your productivity and happiness!
- Learn to say no. Sometimes saying no is difficult, especially to your best friends or your boss! But biting more than you can chew can become overwhelming and lead to stress, not to mention you won’t be giving your 100%. We already went over how stress can affect happiness… so let’s learn to say no when you can’t realistically commit to what is being asked.
- Treat yo’ self! Have that cupcake once in a while, go for that milkshake if you really need it. Balance is key so don’t deprive yourself all the time. Giving in to your indulgences can help keep your smile around.
- Practice self-love. For some, this may be the greatest challenge of all. We’re our own harshest critic and we often focus more on our faults than our worth. But that’s no way to live! Know that you are good enough, strong enough and worthy of love!
I sincerely hope that you can find more happiness and love in your daily lives. Know that even if you’re at your worst, somebody out loves you and cares about you!
Aimee is a fitness enthusiast, beauty junkie, fashionista, hopeless romantic, power yogi, social media princess, foodie and lover of all things pink. She manages her own health, fitness and love blog, readysethappy.com and contributes to online publications such as POPSUGAR, Elev8, Blogher and more. You can follow her life on Twitter and Instagram @Aimeehx3